Saturday, May 7, 2011

Celebrating May 5th

This year we had a bake sale at work, which happened to coincide with Cinco de Mayo.  I thought it would be appropriate to come up with something that had a Mexican influence for the bake sale.  I reached out to my bake-happy friends and scoured the internet for ideas.  There was the Tropical Lime Cake that my friend Sameena had experimented with the previous weekend.  She had a great success with tweaking the recipe to do away with the boxed cake mix and make it from scratch.  But I didn't feel as adventurous and I was pressed for time. 

Once again I turned to a Martha Stewart recipe.  I used her Lemon Meringue Cupcakes as my base recipe, but made a few modifications.  For the frosting, the base recipe was Lemon Buttercream, also with a few modifications.  The result was what I call Margarita Cupcakes with Key Lime Frosting.  I really wanted to be able to use Tequila, but I settled for frozen Margarita Mix.  The next time I make these, there will be alcohol!

Here is my recipe.  Enjoy!

MARGARITA CUPCAKES WITH KEY LIME FROSTING

CUPCAKES:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
5 key limes, zested and juiced (may substitute 3 regular limes)
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup tequila or frozen Margarita Mix, thawed


  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with paper liners.
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. 
  • With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  • Beat in zest and lemon extract.
  • Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with additions of buttermilk, lime juice and 1/4 cup tequila, beating until just combined after each. 
  • Using an ice cream scoop, fill each of the cups with batter, about three-quarters full. 
  • Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
  • Transfer tins to wire racks.  While the cupcakes are still warm, brush them with remaining 1/4 cup tequila or Margarita Mix.
  • Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire racks before frosting.

KEY LIME FROSTING:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar 
4 key limes, zested and juiced
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
Pinch salt (optional)

  • Cream butter until pale and fluffy.  
  • Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar, beating well after every addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of mixing bowl.
  • Add lime juice, half the zest, lemon extract and salt (if using) and continue beating well.
  • Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes.
  • Add a pinch of reserved lime zest to each cupcake.







2 comments:

Sammo said...

Found it! LOL. I think I need to change my glasses :-).

Thanks for mentioning me.....I am famous now....LOL.

When you visit me, will you make croissants for my family? I love them but wouldn't know how to make them to save my life :-).

PLEASE keep writing :-).

Sameena

P.S. Why do I have to go through the whole process of word verification if I'm a follower?

suz616 said...

I would love to visit and make croissants! If it is of any consolation to you, I have to go through the word verification process when I respond to a post, and this is MY BLOG! I think it's just to make sure I'm not spammed. Sorry about that, if I could change it I would.